Sunday, May 23, 2010

Sunday 5/23/10 Weekly Reflection 2

This week was definitely different than the first week. On Monday, I worked with Peggy and went to a meeting with her and Linda. I learned about sentinel node biopsies and how they work. I learned about the dye the doctor’s inject into the patients. It is radioactive so sometimes the doctors wear radioactivity safety suits or badges that tell them how much radioactivity is present in the room. Then, Tuesday and Wednesday I was sick so I learned about how a patient feels! On Tuesday before I left sick, I walked around with Dyna, the nurse, and learned about how to set up each exam room. On Friday, I learned how to make insurance calls about benefit’s for patients, I learned about x-rays, and about the OR and everything in it.
I really liked working with Annette and Dr. Bears. I liked going around setting up exam rooms with Dyna too. Going down to see the x-rays with Dr. Bears was really cool. I liked seeing how the light matters when looking at an x-ray. For example, when the light is dim you can see one thing but then brightening them makes you see completely different things. Going to the OR with Dr. Bears was the best part. I loved seeing how busy it was down there and seeing where they operate. I also had to put on a scrub suit which was interesting.
Going down to the OR was unexpected but Dr. Bears really wanted me to see it and so did I. It was just so interesting and it makes me really want to actually live life as a surgeon and do all of the hard work and schooling to become a surgeon. I will definitely benefit from this week because I now really know what I want to do in the future. Dr. Bears also told me that majoring in microbiology as an undergraduate in college is really helpful for the first year in medical school. I hope this week is as exciting as the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment